Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pre-Chinese New Year

Chinese New Year is just 27 hours away. I felt as if it was only yesterday we celebrated CNY 2008. Now is 2009.

Last year, my aunty from KL surprised my grandma by arriving at KIA at 12 midnight on CNY. She's the one person staying in KL with her husband and hardly come back home. But last year, grandma was not in good health, hence aunty was advised to return and pay her a visit. The plan was carried out by my brother who is currently staying with her in KL on job purposes. When it was 10pm, my brother had to tell my grandma the surprise visit.. so as not to scare her to death when aunty appears at her room. But grandma was too taken aback that she didn't know how to react..and she ended up, instead of sleeping - going to the airport to await her daughter's arrival. That was the "fun" part.

This year, aunty might come back.. if there's any chance of a last minute seat in AirAsia or MAS. but we'll see. And grandma has already been foretold.. in case anything happens. But still on a 50/50 decision making status.

As I drove back home today, I saw many houses being beautifully decorated. Lanterns, pineapples, lion heads, red cloth.. not forgetting seeing people washing their carporch with pressure cleaners, instead of the usual scrubbing..(Cinderella way). Also some richer families would hire workers to paint their fence and walls. All for the sake of welcoming the new Chinese year in the lunar calendar - the year of the Ox.

Then I thought, it must have been quite a lot to spend on the decorations. They're definitely not cheap! I went to survey the prices and the cheapest lantern (made of cheap red paper) costs RM2 at least. And mind you, they're really cheap - and lowest of qualities. The nicer ones cost at least RM10 and above. Those huge lanterns cost RM28 each, and usually a pair would be most suitable to have. In the end mum and I decided on something else more worth the money..I think. Just enough to bring out that cheerful spirit of new year. I have this sort of thinking that it's not what you put on the outside for people to see or admire.. it's what really lies inside yourself and your family that is the true meaning of new year.

So yea, pre-new year preparations are not done yet. And I'm down with terrible flu and sore throat to add to the hustle and bustle, slowing the work down and causing unnecessary inconveniences to family members. Pray that by new year's day all sickness will be gone!

Till then, HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!


-little cup-

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy and Blessed year ahead !!

-lil one-