Saturday, January 3, 2009

Turning a Year Older

Birthday is usually the day to anticipate for gifts, wishes, hugs, etc.. My recent birthday was one out of my expectation. It opened my eyes to see how many wonderful friends I had and how much they've supported me all these while.

Let me talk about how it was on my birthday.

I was online on the eve of my birthday and chatted with a friend till past midnight. Sharp at midnight, my phone started beeping with incoming messages. And it didn't stopped till 10 minutes later. As soon I started reading the messages, more came in and filled my inbox. It took me almost the whole hour to reply every single one. But it was a great moment to know many friends care about you and remember you.

I went to sleep at 1.15am, after the messages stopped coming in. (I suppose most people were sleeping already.) I actually fell asleep already when my phone rang loudly! (at around 2am) and woke me up from sleep immediately. I was at first annoyed at the disturbance because I had to wake up early (5.30am) to start my day.. But the surprise phone call was really shocking;

The caller was outside my house.

I didn't know what to do, or how to react to a surprise like that. But I gratefully accepted the cake and presents over the gate from that 'crazy' friend of mine.

I couldn't sleep after that, but finally did at 3.30am. Woke up at 5.45am (late by 15 minutes), and more messages were found in my inbox. The day started naturally. Breakfast with parents at Kenyalang Market. Then hung around at dad's office, before going out for brunch with 2 friends and parents got dragged along.

The lunch was at Elephant, Jalan Ang Cheng Ho. It's quite a nice place except that it rained and shone at the same time. My friends paid for my meal - ice-cream on top of a piece of chocolate cake. That was enough for my lunch. We all ended up with full stomachs after that. And the nicest thing was, the shop guy played birthday song for me from the cd. How sweet. More phone calls came during lunch, and all were with birthday wishes. Lovely.

Afternoon was spent at IYCS meeting. It was great to be alumni of YCS and back with new (future leaders) faces. From there, more birthday wishes and hugs were given and these thoughts kept me awake from my lack of sleep and full stomach.

After the meeting, sent friends back home and talked a lot about a certain topic. It was really to nice to have friends who would listen to you and offer support. I enjoyed my time with them. They really made up my day and fulfilled my wishes. Thank you, you two.

Got home at 6pm, and finally rested for 10 minutes. The next minute my dog barked and the door bell rang. I went out much to my surprise and a delivery parcel appeared at my doorstep, from another close friend who was away in another town. The parents of that friend sent it to me, much to my awkwardness. But I have been close to them, so more wishes and hugs were given.

Dinner was at 7.30pm, and parents drove me to Fork and Knife where couple of friends decided to meet (on dutch). I was there at 7 with my own birthday cake made by one aunty from church. Friends only started arriving at 7.20 so I sat alone at that long table reading the menu and phone messages while waiting. The distracting part during dinner was the phone calls! But I still appreciate how friends you do not expect will remember your birthday, actually called to wish happy birthday. These friends are silent ones, I call. At one point I talked so long outside the shop that the bills got paid and it was too late for me to pay for own (since I was told we pay for own food). When I approached the shop owner for my cake and enquired about the bill and who paid, he realized it was my birthday because I asked for my cake, and just simply told me "Santa paid for it." Amazed, I just let things be and thanked God for these lovely friends.

After the dinner, we planned to go to Friendship Park, and while deciding on which car to go in to, a motorbike dashed past us, and a girl ran after it shouting, "My bag, my bag!" All happened so fast, and we found out the girl's bag got snatched while she was reading. I felt so sad for her, and we didn't know how to help her.. One friend gave chase with a car, but the bike was too fast and we missed it.

All the same, we went to the park and waited for another friend to come. The mood changed then; the girls were quite taken aback by that incident and I myself felt insecure to leave the car after that. But we stuck together and chatted till it rained, then the rain stopped and only quite late that friend arrived. But all was fun, not the part where I couldn't guess the number (silly game).. and some started going home since it was late.

Those remained chatted till I was the only girl left, and I called for parents to pick. I got home, and minutes before midnight prayed for all that had happened, thanking God for His wonderful blessings. And I slept well that night, waking up after 8/9 hours of sleep.

And today (3rd Jan), I opened facebook etc, and at the very first page found a WHOLE list of birthday wishes. Currently still struggling to reply every message.

Overall, I just want to say

THANK YOU

to every single person who wished me, hugged me, gave me presents, thought of all the nice things to make my day special.. You guys made this birthday the BEST I ever had. May God bless you always!

=)


-little cup-
(apparently little cup has grown into a big cup)

3 comments:

Michelle said...

happy birthday claudee!!! looks like you had a great birthday eh.

half empty cup said...

yea...thanks michelle~ =D

Anonymous said...

Hey girl,what's ur msn add?

>.< u know who am i?

Add me xon90 at hotmail dot com

jamata~