Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Last Goodbye

People always say, "Treat others well today, for fear you will not be able to see them again tomorrow." How life is a mystery to all - it comes and goes, but unknown to our human senses when it will be taken away.

I used to not be too attached to "departing feelings"; even when my maternal grandmother left when I was about 12 I knew nothing about death. To me she just went to sleep in that special box of which those who sleep in it will never wake up again. I didn't shed a tear during her funeral, not realising the reason to cry.

After a friend's death about three years ago, I felt it. Sensing that loss in my heart, though we were not close friends in school. Her funeral was well attended by schoolmates, all the front pews full of uniformed students. During the goodbye speech by a good friend of hers, I was touched till tears trickled down. I knew deep inside she had crossed the line and entered a place we humans cannot enter, with joy. But I just couldn't accept reality that I would never see her again, nor give her that huge hug she loved so much. So young, 16 and she's left. God loved her more.

Coming back to reality, attending many funerals after hers was like waves hitting me one after another. Every time I hear of someone's death - especially those of my friend's be it grandparent or parent, it stirs that sorrow within. What would it be if I were to be that friend, facing the death of someone I love - to say the last goodbye and not hearing any response in return? How would I tell myself that he/she has gone back to the Father and is safe from all pain and harm? How would I tell those beside me how great he/she has lived his/her life and that we should live our lives better as he/she wished? How am I going to say goodbye with a smile on my face when all that is in me turn their backs and mourn endlessly?

We die. Anytime. I've been anxiously waiting, not to sit in the front pews any one of these days. I do not wish to do reading for the last time for anyone of them. I do not wish to say the last goodbye so soon. But who am I to say when I will sit there and when I will not. Who am I to wish for prolonged living, when everything is about pain and suffering. Who am I to decide when to die, or when to see others die. Such selfish being of mine.

I just pray and hope that in this short period we have on earth, life and death be according to Your will. May you comfort us in times of sorrow, and lead us to comfort others when their sorrow arises. Let it be done, as you will it to be.

No comments: